Wednesday, January 2, 2008

We're Back!

As I sit here in my office on the 34th floor, looking out my window, everything looks so flat - and small. No mountains as far as I can see. No snow either. Sigh... We are both very much wishing we were still in Alaska, or even back in the mountains of N.C., or anywhere but here!

Despite my somewhat persistent illness/cold that lasted the duration of our trip to Anchorage, we had an incredible time. We went snowshoeing for two days and cross country skiing for two days, had incredible lattes and hot chocolate (the baristas there are unlike any in the lower 48 it seems), ate great food (although I refuse to proclaim that Anchorage has the best Mexican food that has passed my lips - but it was good), and saw nine moose up close and personal.


Now the vacation is over and we are back to the daily grind. Without fail, I always become disgruntled when returning to work after time spent in the mountains - or anywhere that fills the soul. One day we will move to such a place but for many reasons, we are here in Charlotte for a bit longer. Really, life here is not so bad. We have wonderful friends, a great house, and we are not far from the mountains or the beach for that matter.

Nonetheless, our return to the south is bittersweet, because sometime in the next week we will have our first IUI. Tomorrow is day 10 of my cycle and we will start the OPK process. My excitement by far outweighs any anxiety or nervousness. I cannot believe after months and months of planning we have finally arrived at this time. Here we go!

3 comments:

j.k-c. said...

Welcome back! Glad you had fun on AK! And you are only a few days behind me in your cycle....we will be TWW buddies!! Fingers crossed for you!

jessie said...

so exciting! luck luck luck!

Chris and Penny said...

yay for getting ready to embark with your first IUI. I wish you a short and fruitful journey! glad your trip to ak was great. so, where are the up close and personal moose pics?