Wednesday, March 5, 2008

My First Tagging

Thank you j. k-c. for tagging me. I am now no longer a tagging virgin.

Here are the rules:
1. Grab the nearest book of 123 pages or more
2. Turn to page 123
3. Find the first five sentences and write them down
4. Invite five friends to do the same

OK, so I am a bit of a dork and my latest interest is the colony collapse disorder phenomena whereby honeybees are disappearing from their hives for unexplained reasons. They aren't dying in the hives, just flat out disappearing. This is really quite scary once one realizes just how important the honeybee is to our food sources. I digress.... This has sparked my interest in the amazing honeybee and so right now I am reading Sweetness and Light, The Mysterious History of the Honeybee by Hattie Ellis which is on my bedside stand.

There are only four sentences on page 123 because the majority of the page is taken up by a sketch of the directions below. The following words describe how to track down a honeybee in 18th Century America and was formulated by Paul Dudley in 1721:

"His book, an account of a method found in New England for discovering where the bees hive in the woods in order to get their honey, advises putting honey on a plate or trencher and releasing a bee that has been caught foraging. Mark the line it takes on a piece of paper. Then go to another spot not too far away, and release another bee. The two angles marked together will help the hunter find the direction of the tree."

It seems most of you have already been tagged since I am late in the game here so sadly, I am failing on my duty to tag others. Oh well....

5 comments:

j.k-c. said...

Thanks for playing and honeybees are very interesting. :)

jessie said...

I want to read that book! No way are you a dork.

Anonymous said...

i love the name honeybee. i wish i was a honeybee, or at least our species had an equally endearing name.

glad you're back around. don't stay away so long. i love reading anything you've got. xo

RainbowMomma said...

Sounds interesting to me, too. Just stopped by to say hi.

Lizzie said...

Oh, a dork. And I imagine a bit of a geek? (Said with total love!) I'm 100% dork/geek myselfe and I was delighted by your book selection! :) Thanks for finding me through Mrs. Bluemont and leaving a comment on my blog. Going crazy out here with a suddently irregular cycle. All best.