Monday, April 14, 2008

And So It Begins

I'm tired. Really tired. Not all the time, but by 9:30 each night I am asleep in Dana's lap on the couch while she sips red wine and unwinds from her day. And then I wake up what seems like every 20 minutes to go to the bathroom. Now, my bladder has always been the size of a pea and there is never a night I don't get up three to four times to go to the bathroom. But, I kid you not, last night I think I got up at least seven times, maybe eight or even nine. I have no idea. Part of this is mental, stemming from a mountaineering trip nearly ten years ago on Mt. Baker. We were snowed in for a week. I mean snowed in - whiteout conditions - I couldn't see my hand when I held it out in front of my body. So what do you do all day in a three person tent when you can't go anywhere? Sleep. If you don't get up to go outside to the bathroom, and you hold it all in, it takes more of your body's energy to heat the fluid you've accumulated in your bladder. When you rid your body of the fluid, you stay warmer because less energy is used to keep the fluid at 98.6, and, the key part for me, you sleep warmer and sounder. My mind reverts back to "if you just get up now and take care of this issue, you won't have to worry about it for a good while and you will sleep better." Am I making any sense? I know my cozy house is not a tent nor do we ever have whiteout conditions in N.C. However, my mind urges me to combat this problem immediately upon of feeling the slightest urge. Sigh....

Otherwise, I feel fine. No nausea. Nothing. This scares me a bit. I do not want to feel terrible...but I do...but I don't...I just want some confirmation our little embryo is still growing and cells dividing like crazy inside of me. Understandably, I'm still a little guarded from the miscarriage. We're counting down the days until our first ultrasound on Friday at 1:30 and I hope to breathe a big sigh of relief once we see Sweepy-D in utero, heart beating away.

10 comments:

Heidi said...

See, I've always figured the reason pregnant women are so tired is all the waking up all night to pee!

Can't wait till Friday!!!

Lizzie said...

Fingers crossed for Friday!

j.k-c. said...

So excited for Friday....can't wait to hear the report. And I use the same logic when I have to pee at night. Although i've never been stranded in a tent in a white out. :)

jessie said...

I can't wait for Friday!

This is me, too: "if you just get up now and take care of this issue, you won't have to worry about it for a good while and you will sleep better."

Not for the same reasons as you, but I do the same thing. It's totally a mind thing!

Anonymous said...

Great to hear from you again! I've been thinking of you every day and wishing you well. I hope you get the rest you and S-D need, don't get a lick of nausea, and hear that gorgeous heartbeat on Friday. oxox

tbean said...

Glad everything is going well so far, although I could understand wishing for a little reassuring nausea here or there. I'm looking forward to Friday, I hope it is a very happy day for you.

my cowgirl alter-ego said...

Sleepy here too!

FX for a fabulous heartbeat on Friday!!!

Carrie said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! So excited for your baby journey, and can't wait to follow the updates. Fingers crossed for Friday! (And adding you to my blogroll!)

chroniclesofconception said...

Can't wait for Friday. Here's to hoping you see a very strong heartbeat!!! Ps. I'm peeing all the time too!

Heather said...

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY!!!!

I'm sending you girls the biggest, bestest hug in the entire world.

i love you two. Scratch that. I love you three!