Monday, July 28, 2008

Half Way There

Last week marked 20 weeks. 20 more to go (give or take of course.) What does this mean? The halfway point put me in a panic because we really have not done much to prepare. Don't get me wrong, this little guy has clothes to wear for the first 24 months of his life, courtesy of my wonderful mother (can you tell he will be the first grandchild?) But he has nothing else. He won't be naked, but he has no cloth diapers or crib in which to sleep. Where do we begin?

We decided on colors for the nursery this weekend and we went to our local Sherwin Williams store - they will mix any of their paint colors in their Harmony latex paints which contain no VOCs - but it was closed on Sunday so we'll have to go back next weekend. My mother is coming next week to help shop for some essentials like a stroller, car seat, etc. I refuse to shop at Toys R Us and Babies R Us because they got a "do not buy" rating from the HRC in the 2008 Buying For Equality Guide. I just can't bring myself to shop there. At least Target gets the green light from the Buying Guide.

Then there are the items we want that I have no source for locally, like an organic crib mattress and organic crib sheets. I've already resigned to buying a crib online because I don't want a crib with any pressed wood, which contains high amounts of formaldehyde. If you are interested, see this article. Even FEMA (surprise) has admitted the trailers provided to Katrina victims were toxic to those living in them because of high levels of formaldehyde in the pressed wood and plywood used in constructing the trailers. The same pressed woods and plywoods are used in making many cribs, even higher end cribs. Do you realize how much it costs to try make environmentally sound choices for both our baby and mother nature? Geez-O-Pete! I'm getting off my soap-box now...

6 comments:

chroniclesofconception said...

Wow! I had NO idea about the toxic chemicals in pressed wood - thanks for sharing that!!!

Happy half-way mark!!! We hit ours tomorrow!! It's exciting AND overwhelming! It was great to meet you two on Saturday too - sorry we didn't have more time!! Please give us a ring if you're in Richmond, and we'll call you if we're in Charlotte and maybe we can meet up again!!!

Lizzie said...

I didn't know about the HRC buying guide. Thank you! And good for you for taking your dollars to GLBT friendly places. I wish it wasn't so expensive to be socially aware/green/etc. It shouldn't be only for those of means.

Kathy said...

Welcome to reading our little blog. It is extremely difficult to find evironmentally, baby friendly, and earth mama check book friendly. We have found G Diapers in our local Whole Foods Market, but we've also found some gently used ones for SUPER cheap on ebay. We are also buying the major things for baby; crib, stroller, car seat, and pack and play. When we finally do have our 2 or 3 baby showers we will simply ask our friends for anything and everything organic and "green". Good luck staying away from BRU and TRU. They let us register as a couple so we said sure why not... We have however bought a lot of stuff from Target and garage sales (what's more green than reusing "healthy" items).

Stacey said...

wow half way!!! i cant read about the toxic wood, it makes me panic since we just bought stuff, so I will just have to pretend i idnt see it ;-)
hope you are feeling great.

evangeline said...

good to know about the pressed wood! Happy-Half Way!!!!

Heather said...

Halfway there! YAY!!!

Apes and I can't wait to see everyone in a few weeks and meet the lil' guy. I plan on talking to your stomach for hours on end. He really should know my voice and I only have a limited amount of time to make that happen....

Can't wait!